Orthodontics Can Improve Your Appearance and Dental Function
Dr. Chad LaCour offers three types of orthodontics at our Baton Rouge, LA, practice: traditional metal braces, ClearCorrect, and Six Month Smiles®. These methods can help patients improve the appearance of their smile and correct teeth that are crowded, crooked, or misaligned. While braces and clear aligners can achieve a more beautiful appearance, they also restore and maintain dental function.
Indications for Orthodontic Treatment
Did you know the effects of orthodontics stretch far beyond simply straightening teeth? If your teeth are not in proper alignment, you can suffer from excessive wear and tear, overexertion of your jaw muscles, breathing problems, and a myriad of other dental issues. You may be a candidate for orthodontic treatment if you notice:
- Crooked Teeth: Misaligned teeth can severely limit your ability to brush and floss properly, increasing the risk of decay and gum disease.
- Crowded Teeth: If there is insufficient space in the jawbone to accommodate the teeth, you may experience crowding.
- Overbite: Commonly known as buck teeth, this condition occurs when the upper teeth protrude out. This is especially worrisome in the case of blunt force trauma, because there is a higher chance of fractures and tooth loss.
- Underbite: This condition occurs when the lower front teeth jut out in front of the upper front teeth.
- Crossbite: A crossbite occurs when the teeth shift to either the right or the left when biting down naturally.
- Open Bite: An open bite results in significant space showing between some of the biting surfaces when the patient closes their jaws.
Today's orthodontic patients can enjoy more predictable outcomes and shorter treatment times than ever before.
Our Orthodontic Treatment Options
The field of orthodontics has vastly improved over recent decades. Today's orthodontic patients can enjoy more predictable outcomes and shorter treatment times than ever before. Dr. LaCour offers two types of braces at his practice:
Traditional Metal Braces
These silver-colored appliances are what come to mind when most people think of braces. Composed of surgical-grade stainless steel, traditional braces consist of brackets, arch wires, and bands. Teeth are moved into their desired positions gradually over time with the use of gentle, constant force. Treatment times vary, but on average, traditional metal braces are worn approximately 18 to 24 months.
Six Month Smiles
This is a popular option for patients who want a more aesthetic appearance while wearing braces. The Six Month Smiles system uses clear orthodontic brackets and tooth-colored arch wires to move your teeth in a fraction of the time. Treatment times will be different for each patient, but can generally be completed in six to nine months.
ClearCorrect consists of discreet plastic aligners that are used to gently shift the teeth over time. For the right patients, this alternative to braces can address many of the same concerns. ClearCorrect is considered to be a comfortable, convenient treatment option. Because patients can remove the aligners, they can continue enjoying all their favorite foods and brush and floss as they normally would.
As with all types of treatment, candidacy will depend on your individual needs. During your initial consultation, Dr. LaCour will assess your oral health and determine which orthodontic treatment option is best for you.
Contact Us to Schedule a Consultation
We take pride in making patients our top priority, and we are here to walk you through every step of your treatment process. If you think you or someone in your family could benefit from orthodontic treatment, contact us to schedule an evaluation with Dr. LaCour. You can call us at (225) 757-8450, or contact us online.